The nave and chancel were constructed as one sees them today, other than the fact that some time in the 14/1500's the East wall collapsed
and the church was shortened when the present East wall was rebuilt. Evidence of this can be seen in that the sedilia has only two arches
instead of the normal three and it disappears into the East wall. The tower is a solid piece of work and is a 50 ft high structure built in
three stages, giving a somewhat squat appearance. The top being 6 ft above the ridge of the nave roof; extra height was added in the 16th
century, when a 5ft castellated brick parapet was added, surmounted at each corner by beehive pinnacles. In the early 16th Century the Tudor
brick porch was built.
||Family Service held in the Village Hall
||(Holy Communion at Little Maplestead Church at 9.30am)
||Evening Worship (April to October)
||Evening Worship (November to March)
||Holy Communion (see Church notice board or Parish Magazine for venue)
|Tursdays & Fridays
On 22nd November 1940 an incendiary bomb fell through the roof but failed to ignite, the splinter of wood from the roof and the tail of the bomb are now
used as a candle snuffer.
Famously, the church houses a brass of Sir William Fitzralph.
The brass was last reported complete in the early 1800's. A reproduction of it can be seen on the Village Sign and on the school uniform.
St. John the Baptist, Pebmarsh, is part of the benefice of "Knights and Hospitallers": the other churches of the benefice being St Mary the Virgin, Gestingthorpe;
St Giles, Great Maplestead; and St John the Baptist, Little Maplestead (The Round Church).
The parish is in the Diocese of Chelmsford.